Friday, July 1, 2011

It's been a long time coming....

I know, I know, I haven't been good about blogging, but as I'm sure you can understand, my life has been thrown upside down and spinning more than I EVER could have imagined after Aliyah's birth. Where do I start?
  Well, let's start at her birth (nightmare!!!) June 13th I went in for mt induction at noon, and around 5 that evening got my epideral. Well that was unsuccessful, the tech went in the wrong vertibrate and I ended up with a spinal, which meant I had to get the numbing meds administered every hr. Around 8 is when they broke my water and then came on the HEAVY contractions. The floor had an emergency C- section, and ALL of the docs, nurses, anystegiolgists (sure spelled wrong) where away to help the emergency case, and I was ALONE with my husband with NO pain medication, and felt EVERY contraction, and started pushing with only nurse practitioners in the room. They said "DON"T PUSH", but Aliyah said, "YEAH RIGHT", and right before she came out, in came the NICU team, and the doctor, but the doc made the mistake of coming to my bedside and I just remember grabbing her coat, and begging for meds. She had to ask me to let her go so she could deliver my baby, and moments later, my sunshine was born, weighing in at 6lbs, 9oz/19 in long.
  Away she went to the NICU, and we had 5 whole days of relaxation. Her stats were great, she looked healthy, I even got to hold her for a while : ).
  On the 5th day, I walked her down to the OR, kissed her goodbye, and prayed that I would see her again after her Norwood.  8 hours later, I get a call, and a nurse said, 'Mrs. Chambers, your baby's operation is over and she is doing fine" : D THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Everyday since we have faithfully been in the hospital as she continues to recover, and it has been EXHAUSTING!!! Some days are better than others. The one constant and biggest challenge we face is her chest output.  On day 10 we discovered she has mosaic Turner Syndrome, which enlarged her lymph vessels. During her surgury a lymph vessel was severed, and that causes drainage. So before she can eat that drainage must stop, if not we are looking at another surgury to make it stop.
  There also have been little things here and there that have slowed down her recovery. It is at the point that I don't know how to feel on a daily basis, and our stress level is at an ultimate high.
  In the midst of all of this I have two other children to raise. Luckily Jasmine, my oldest, is 15 and can be at her dad's enjoing some of her summer.  My youngest, Kris, now 1 1/2, is with me and my husband, here aat UVA, getting pushed around in his stroller, trying to be good, but not wanting to all of the time, and we try our best to keep him occupied the best we can.  Soon my husband will have to go back to work, and I will have to make other arrangements for Kris, and it will hurt me more with him away while I must stay with my lil angel. 
  ALL of this is HARD!  EVERY last bit of it!!!!!!! I had NO idea, and anyone who thinks they are preparing themselves for something like this is just kidding themselves!!!!!!!
  Today I am just frustrated, tomarrow I could be estatic. Each sunrise brings on a new emotion and I can barely keep up. But I'm here, and I continue to thrive, just as my daughter does. WE WILL FIGHT this !!!!!!! With ALL of our might!!!!!!!! And God will be with us every step of the way!!!!!! Please continue to pray, pray with all of your <3 to make Aliyah's <3 whole. <3 <3 <3

3 comments:

  1. All you can do is your best. Good luck. Jessica Makuh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you posted a comment of my blog!! I would LOVE to call you and talk with you. When is a good time for you? I know that's hard to know when you're in the hospital. Where do you live?
    Congrats on your little miracle... I know it is SO hard right now.. Reading this post brings back so many emotions. It is a long road but it does get better and she will be okay! SO happy to meet you! There are only a handful of babies with Turners/HLHS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya, I found your blog through the comment you left on Bela's blog. You are not alone...My daughter Ashlyn has HLHS/Turners and just came through her third surgery. I just prayed for Aliyah. Please keep blogging so we can know how she's doing!

    ReplyDelete