Thursday, March 24, 2011

UVA visit : )

My husband and I had a bunch of appointments at UVA last week, 3 to be exact. First, I had to get an ultrasound to check Aaliyah's growth, and everything seemed to be good. She now weighs 1lb 14oz, almost 2 lbs, and all of her measurments are right on track! Then we had to see another cardiologist. He checked Aaliyah's heart and let us know that one of her atricles was a little on the small side and they would keep a close eye on it to make sure that it didn't close up, but also mentioned that if it was going to it probally would have by now. So that was good to hear : ). Finally, we had a visit to the NICU. this was the most challenging for us. More my husband than myself, because he hasn't allowed himself to look at graphic photos on HLHS, but I have taken it ALL in. I want to prepare myself as much as possible because I want to be as strong as I can be for our daughter when I have to. I must say that the set up was pretty confined, thus making it only possible for 2 visitors at a time when we will be allowed to visit out angel. They have a room especially for breastfeeding mothers , in which I plan to do, and a room for the actual feedings. Victor held up pretty good until I heard him ask, "May we see a baby that has our daughter's condition?", I couldn't believe he asked that, and I wasn't sure if we were allowed, but was surprized when we were answered back, "sure", and before I knew it we were being led to a little bed and I looked down and saw this amazing little fighter with all of these tubes and tape around his little precious face, and he was sleeping peacefully. I looked up at my husband and saw the stream of tears falling from his face, and I knew right then that he finally gets it! Men don't seem to bond while a child is in utero as much as women, in which I can fully understand why. They don't experience the feel of a kick or a flutter that somehow says, "Good morning, mom, what's for breakfast?" I consider this to be one of the greatest gifts. But then in that moment, my husband got to connect to something that was real to him and suddenly he has become so much more eager to learn about Aaliyah and her condition. If this is what happens when he sees someone else's precious child, I can't wait to see how he and our daughter will have their own special bond. One things for sure she will and has already changed our lives FOREVER!

3 comments:

  1. Aww love this!!! She will be such a fighter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you have had all of these opportunities already! We never saw a child with HLHS before my daughter was born. We will be keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers as Aaliyah grows big and strong over the next few months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you are getting the chance to be prepared. We didn't know Lauren had HLHS before she was born, so it was a complete shock for us. Everything has turned out really well for us and at 29 months she is doing great, but I often wonder if it would have been easier if we had known ahead of time. Good luck with everything. I'm thinking about you. Jessica Makuh

    ReplyDelete